Hello Clients and Friends

The 2018 Tax Season officially began January 29th. I will officially begin working with clients on Thursday, February 1stso you may start sending your documents over at any time.

With all of the recent tax changes, your 2017 Client Tax Questionnaire is not yet ready. I will send it to you in the next few days.
In Addition To Your Normal Documents, Please Make Sure You Send:

Proof of medical insurance (please remember to send this): You should receive one of the following tax forms showing proof of medical insurance coverage for every month in 2017 for you and each of your dependents.

  • Form 1095-A – for individuals who purchase insurance coverage through the exchange.
  • Form 1095-B – if you have an individual policy purchased directly from an insurance company or that is provided through your employer.
  • Form 1095-C – if you have an insurance policy purchased through your employer, and the employers is considered to be an Applicable Large Employer.

IF you plan to take the EDUCATION CREDIT for you or your dependent’s HIGHER EDUCATION expenses please make sure you send

  • Form 1098-T (Tuition Statement) received from the educational institution
  • A copy of the statement of account showing all the expenses charged and payments made to the school.

Proof of Dependency

If you’re planning to claim any of the following individuals as your 2017 dependent, please let me know so I can send you the appropriate form to complete. The form is needed to determine whether or not you have the legal right to claim the individual as your dependent.

  • An individual who is 18 and over and no longer attending high school
  • An individual who is NOT your biological or legally adopted son or daughter
  • An individual who is under the age of 18 and earned income of $6300+ OR who $1050+ in interest/dividend/stock income

If you’re a Small business owner (including landlords) – Form 1099-misc and form 1096

  • If you paid any individual or non-incorporated business more than $600 during 2017, Federal law requires you to report those payments and to give the recipient a form 1099-misc showing their income by January 31, 2018. Please let me know if you need help with this.

Getting Your Documents To Me, Drop-Offs and Appointments

As has been our usual process for the past 4 years, here are the options for getting your documents to me:

Drop-Off / Pick-Up Days – this is for drop-offs and quick conversations. – PLEASE CONFIRM 48 hours prior to meeting date. If no one confirms for a particular day, I will cancel the session.

  • EAST BAY AREA — Friday, February 9th and Thursday March 1st from 5:30pm – 7:30pm
  • EAST CONTRA COSTA COUNTY – Please email me.
  • I will make arrangements to pick-up taxes from my senior customers (you know who you are)

Other options for getting your paperwork to me without having a face-to-face meeting include:

  • fax to 510-868-2928 or email
  • mail to: 1852 W. 11th Street #586, Tracy CA 95376 (Mail COPIES only please)
  • Link to a secure document upload feature called Box.com. If you’d like to give this a try let me know I will send you an online invitation.

Face-to-face tax preparation and consultation meetings take place at my home office in Tracy, CA or virtually via Skype. Appointment hours are:

  • Fridays (except 2/9) after 12 noon
  • Saturdays 9am to 12pm

Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have or if you’ve chosen to work with a different tax preparer this year.

Thank you for your continued business. With the new 2018 Tax & Jobs Bill, many of you will not need my services next year. Please know that it’s been my pleasure serving you over the years.

God’s blessing to you!

Michelle Walker-Wade, CRTP since 2003

Leave a Reply